Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Maple Syrup


Way back in February and early March we tapped several of the maples in our yard and surrounding woods for sap. We boiled the sap outside on the fire and inside on the stove. After much boiling we had maple syrup. I think we ended up making a little more than 2 gallons which is pretty good since the ratio is 40 gallons of sap equals on gallon of syrup (I'll have to check my facts on that). We have given a lot to family and friends and still have plenty for our pancakes. It also works nicely in the homemade bread that I make. Tons better than that high fructose corn syrup, which is why I started making my own bread anyway, to reduce our intake of that stuff. It was a lot of work, but fun and rewarding. And let's face it, by February we're all pretty bored and ready to do something outdoors anyway.

1 comment:

Brook said...

Beautiful and yummy too. i say that from personal experience!