Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Where did that come from?

 
Applesauce and apple butter that I canned last year, which Brayden's classmates helped me finish off yesterday!

Johnny Appleseed's birthday is a big deal in these parts as he is said to have died and was buried in Ft. Wayne, IN, not far from here.  So of course both the kids have been learning loads about him for his "day", which was yesterday.  Being a big fan of the apple, I told Brayden's teacher I would love to help with the celebration and would bring in my home canned applesauce, apple butter and dried apples for the children to try.  She asked me to be in charge of the applesauce making station and I replied, "I'd love to, I'm a champion applesauce maker, just ask Brayden!".  Here was her reply  "He said so at lunch the other day. They served applesauce at lunch, which he declared was not as good as yours. :) "  You can see why he is my favorite boy, that and he's my only son. 

So I went and helped, the children loved using the peeler/slicer/corer and sampling the apple products.  After the festivities concluded I went to eat lunch with my boy and girl.  I walked into the lunch room with him to get my food and the lunch ladies all said, "Oh, is this your Mom?? She's the one that makes that good applesauce!  I said, "Oh no, I hope he didn't tell you that yours wasn't good!"  They said no but he did demand to know where it came from.  I had to laugh.  Of course he did.  We always talk about where our food came from.  He has very rarely eaten applesauce I didn't make.  He is used to eating local....like from the front yard (where the garden is).   So I can see these lessons are not being lost on my children.  Brenna also feels this way about the applesauce and the spaghetti sauce as well.  She'll eat it, but always comes home and tells me how much better mine is!  To which I say, "Don't you forget it sister!!" 

No comments: