Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Morning Checklist

A couple weeks ago, I was at my wit's end.  I had had it with mornings, specifically getting the kids off to school in the mornings.  So I began to brainstorm on ideas of how to get them to do what they needed to do in the mornings without my constant nagging (which I HATE doing) and added stress.  I thought that there must be a better way.  I had heard of other families doing check lists so I decided to make my own.   I put in in a plastic sleeve and set a dry erase marker next to it so that they could check off the tasks as they completed them. I added pictures to the list as Brayden is not reading words quite this big yet. I didn't want him to taking a lot of time sounding things out, that would contradict the entire point of the list.
The first few days I wasn't so sure this would work, the kids were excited about it and loved the idea, but were spending too much time lolligagging in front of the list, which I had taped to the bathroom door. I had to  explain many times that this list is meant to speed up the process, not slow it down and that the point was to complete the task, not necessarily to cross it off.  This seems to finally have sunk in after 3 weeks and they are doing great.  They have been done early every day this week, over 30 minutes early!!  (Ok, Brayden has been waking up at the butt crack of dawn, but still!!)  I also explained to the kids in depth why this list was necessary. 1. Mommy HATES starting the day stressed, hurried and yelling.  2. Being prompt is important and Mommy is a stickler for being on time, when we are late she gets very crabby! 3.  Told them the many ways in which being on time is important.   Now they are doing everything with very little direction from me. I am so much lessed harried in the morning now and the last two days we have had snuggle and reading time before school!! I also have had time to get some chores done in the morning that I normally would do after I drop them at school.  It has been a complete 180!! YAY!

No comments: