Thursday, December 29, 2011

Holiday Handmades Review

You have seen in previous posts I did even more sewing this holiday season than usual.  Part of that was because of the awesome quilt shop I live near now!  My favorite finds there are the great variety of children's fabrics.  I really fell in love with the "Dr. Seuss" fabrics and the Moda "Funky Monkey" fabrics. 
These are travel pillowcases I made for my children from fat quarters.  Could these fabrics be any more fun?
This is an ABC soft book that I made for my 1 year old niece.  I found this wonderful tutorial at Obsessively Stitching. 
The great part of this project was that I had most of the scraps to do each letter of the alphabet, anything I didn't have was a cinch to find at the quilt shop! I didn't have any zebra fabric so I zig zag stitched a piece of yellow quilting fabric.  I hand stitched around each letter, other than that I really was a pretty quick project.
I made these iPod cozies from scraps of the funky monkey fabric from the kiddos pj pants. I pulled some vintage buttons out of my stash that I scored at a garage sale this summer.  (In case you don't know, old buttons go like gang busters at garage sales, I was darn lucky to get these and at a great deal!) I always use brown or black hair bands for the elastic closures.
I found these funky monkey panels at the quilt shop and knew they would make a nice soft book for my 2 year old niece.  I like the soft books because they are great quiet activity for church. I just did some highlight stitching around certain elements of each page (I didn't photograph each page, there were 8).  Also new this year to my handmades....MY VERY OWN TAGS!!  See bottom left corner of this photo!  My friend Brook turned me onto these (and gave me a coupon!) tags found at NameMaker.com

1 comment:

Care said...

FANTASTIC! Hooray for having a GREAT quilt shop near your home... Sewing is too ridiculously fun!! :o)

Thanks for sharing, and for the link!