Friday, January 13, 2012

Teaching Kids Self Sufficiency

Brenna has been asking to learn to sew.  I believe she needs to learn to hand sew before machine sewing.  This is her second lesson, sewing on a button.  She did great, but she does get very frustrated at times.  Not sure who she gets that from ...  ;^)
Brayden helping dad make venison sausage.  He loves helping Dad grind venison meat too.  He was obsessed with the meat grinder section of the Cabela's Bookie for the longest time. 
Brayden with Dad going for a walk in the woods.  It's still rabbit and squirrel season so Jeremy took his gun just in case...not that he should have bothered, with the kids scaring them off!

I look at the things that we are teaching our kids and they are the things that we were taught as children too.  However most people don't know how to do these very basic things for themselves.  I don't know about you, but I know that our world is an unstable place, the future is uncertain.  If I can teach my kids how to feed and cloth themselves they will be ahead of the game even if they don't need to rely on these skills for daily life, they will know how to if they need or want to.  I love to see the confidence on their faces when they are learning to do these things for themselves.  

No comments: