Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fishing quilt

I bought fabric over a year ago to make Brayden a fishing themed quilt.  It has been paitently waiting for me at the bottom of the old trunk.  I didn't forget about it (believe me when I say I don't ever forget about such things, even if I'd like to sometimes).  I finally got started on the quilt a week ago.  I have less than a month till Brayden turns 6 and I doubt I'll finish in time, but at least it's in progress which is... well...progress!! Part of what took so long to get started was planning.  One of the fabrics had mini panels that I wanted to be the centerpoint of the quilt, but I didn't have a plan and no other quilt patterns seemed to work so I knew I'd have to design one myself.  I wasn't feeling very inspired to do that. Here's the cool part of the story.  I was at the dentist getting my cleaning and the hygenist and I started talking about sewing, quilting and of course our favorite quilt shop.  She promised to send some quilt and table runner patterns to me and she held true to her promise, thanks Charlotte!  One pattern she sent was called "turning twenty".  I thought it may work for Brayden's fish quilt, but it didn't.  However it did give me great ideas and inspiration to set down and draw up my own.  See below!
Scetch of the fishing quilt and the first block. I'm keeping it simple, this is only my 4th quilt.
Strips of the "framing" fabric cut and ready to sew.

I have made 4 blocks so far, there will be a total of 24 blocks, 6 rows with 4 blocks in each row.  I'll keep you posted as I go!  My husband just finished painting Brayden's room so when this quilt is done we will begin redecorating his room, with things we already have on hand, just kind of moving things around.

1 comment:

Cort said...

What a lovely fabric selection! He will cherish that quilt forever. I can't wait to see it when it's finished!